Bootleg Biology’s Backyard Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit includes everything the experimental homebrewer needs to capture wild bugs, create agar plates, and isolate yeast:
- Detailed instruction book & web-based content
- Half-gallon capture vessel
- Bug membrane systems
- Sterile cotton swabs
- Test tubes
- Bootleg Biology’s Wild Yeast Agar blend
- Sterile petri dishes
- Bootleg Biology Fermetrics™ stickers
- The famous Bootleg inoculation loop (a paper clip)
- Free Local Yeast Project Contributor pack. Once you’ve isolated a strain, becoming a Contributor is a simple as sticking a cultured swab in the included envelope and dropping it in a mailbox. Postage is pre-paid in the U.S.!
As an added bonus: If you send your viable local yeast culture to Bootleg Biology, it will be banked in our laboratory freezer! You won’t ever have to worry about losing your fantastic local yeast culture.
Backyard Yeast Wrangling Tool Kits are now available online and at the following esteemed homebrew stores:
- Rebel Brewer – Check out their YouTube video with Bootleg Biology’s Chief Yeast Wrangler acting as a hand model, demonstrating how to pour agar plates, streak cultures and isolate yeast.
- Monster Brew
- Craft Beer & Brewing
- Strange Brew
- Brew Time Fairbanks, AK
- Boulder Fermentation Supply Boulder, CO (NEW!)
- CO-Brew Denver, CO
- Broadway Brew Supply Englewood, CO (NEW!)
- Tom’s Brew Shop Lakewood, CO
- DC Homebrew Shop Washington, DC
- Hoggetowne Ale Works Gainesville, FL
- Chicago Brew Werks Plainfield, IL
- Mystic Brewery Tasting Room Chelsea, MA
- Maryland Homebrew Columbia, MD
- Nepenthe Homebrew Baltimore, MD
- Bell’s Brewery General Store Kalamazoo, MI
- O’Connor’s Home Brew Supply Grand Rapids, MI
- Siciliano’s Market Grand Rapids, MI
- Brew Ha Ha Homebrew Supply Jackson, MS (NEW!)
- The Brooklyn Kitchen Brooklyn, NY
- High Gravity Homebrew & Winemaking Supplies Tulsa, OK (NEW!)
- Jackson Organics and Home Brew Jackson, TN
- Ferment Station Knoxville, TN
- All Seasons Nashville, TN
- Homebrew Supply Austin, TX
- The Beer Nut Salt Lake City, UT
- Brew & Bottle Homebrewing Supplies Newport News, VA
- Kettles and Grains Leesburg, VA
- MyLHBS Falls Church, VA
- The Beer Essentials Tacoma/Lakewood, WA
- Sound Homebrew Supply Seattle, WA
- Mountain Homebrew & Wine Supply Kirkland, WA
- Pot Belly Brew Shop Göteborg, Sweden
- Bryggselv.no Norway
Want to see Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit’s at your local homebrew store? Let us know where!
The Tool Kit is designed so that anyone who can make beer, can wrangle yeast. Each kit includes detailed illustrated step-by-step instructions as well as links to the DIYeast section of our site which is constantly updated with detailed information, graphics and a streaking video.
Wondering how you’ll know what kind of microbe you’ve captured?
Check out the original Microbe Portrait Gallery: a handy visual reference guide to the morphology (size, shape & color) of some of the most common brewing and fermentation bugs. The page has pictures of Brewer’s Yeast, Brettanomyces, and Lactobacillus on agar plates and under magnification. This will help you figure out quickly what kind of microbe you may have isolated using the Backyard Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit.
But what if you also want to try isolating yeast from bottle dregs?
The included Wild Yeast Agar Blend also grows the Brewer’s Yeast typically found in bottle-conditioned beers like a champ! Just add your dregs to a vial with low-gravity wort, incubate, and then follow the instructions for Isolating Yeast.
What do you do if you get stumped during the process? Give up all hope? Call your High School Biology teacher?
Nope! Each Tool Kit instruction manual includes an email address answered by our Chief Yeast Wrangler. No problem is too small, no question is too simple. We want you to become an amazing yeast wrangler, so we’re here to help!
Still interested in reading more about the Tool Kit? Check out Heather Vandenengel’s interview with our Chief Yeast Wrangler in Craft Beer & Brewing: Yeast Wrangling for Homebrewers.
But wait…there’s more!
Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit & Bootleg Biology Logo T-Shirt Bundle: Available only on bootlegbiology.com! Pick up a kit and t-shirt for one great price. A unique gift for the homebrewer that has it all!
Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit, and Agar + Petri Dish Refill Bundle: Available only on bootlegbiology.com! Pick up a kit and our Official Refill Pack of 30 Petri Dishes and 60 grams of Wild Yeast Agar Blend for a special low price. This is the go to combo for all serious yeast wranglers.
Check out the new Yeast Wrangling Tool Kit Official Refills:
Wild Yeast Agar Blend – For all of your wild yeast and brewer’s yeast isolating adventures. Just boil with water and pour. (60 grams, powder. Enough to make approximately 30 agar plates; petri dishes not included.)
Wild Yeast Agar Blend & 30 Pack Sterile Petri Dishes – Get Bootleg Biology’s Wild Yeast Agar Blend and 3 sets (30 plates) of sterile petri dishes. Pickup this combo and make enough agar plates to go crazy streaking, isolating wild yeast AND brewer’s yeast! Petri dishes are 90mm size, larger than standard 60mm…increasing the ease of isolating a colony on the first try.